German media is reporting that the Berlin Senator for Justice and his Greens party have vowed continued cooperation with an individual described as an anti-Muslim racism expert, defying opposition warnings about his ties to Islamist groups. According to the WELT article:
April 9, 2021 A member of the Berlin “Expert Commission on Anti-Muslim Racism” was active in associations that are considered Islamist by the [German domestic intelligence agency]. Nevertheless, the senator of justice, the integration commissioner and the Greens in the capital are holding on to him. For what reason? The demand of the Berlin CDU group chairman Burkard Dregger is clear: “Mohamad Hajjaj must no longer be a member of the commission on anti-Muslim racism,” says the opposition leader in the Berlin Chamber of Deputies. “Those who do not appear to be completely on the basis of the Basic Law must not be called as role models in a visible function.”
Read the rest here.
The article further reports that Mohammed Hajjaj is a member of Berlin’s governing Social Democratic Party who acts as the Berlin representative of the German Central Muslim Council (ZMD). He has also reportedly been long active in leading positions of Muslim organizations identified by the German domestic intelligence agency as tied to the country’s Hamas support infrastructure and the Global Muslim Brotherhood (GMB), a transnational Islamist influence network covered by the Global Influence Operations Report (GIOR):
- Teiba Kulturzentrum (Telba Cultural Center), led by Ferid Heider, a former student of the GMB’s Institut Européen des Sciences Humaines and a frequent lecturer at its German offshoot.
- Palästinensische Gemeinschaft in Deutschland (Palestinian Community of Germany), whose membership mainly consists of Hamas supporters.
- Inssan e.V., a Berlin Muslim association with numerous ties to the GMB and whose chair Lydia Nofal is also a member of the Berlin Expert Commission on Anti-Muslim Racism.
Additional reporting by WELT has revealed Hajjaj also shared anti-Semitic imagery equating Israel with Nazi Germany via his Facebook profile.
Prior GIOR reporting about the GMB in Germany has included:
- An October 2020 report that Germany’s main Muslim Brotherhood umbrella Deutsche Muslimische Gemeinschaft (DMG), participated in an international high-level conference of GMB groups.
- A December 2020 report that the German government had stopped its funding for Islamic Relief Germany as a result of its ties to the GMB.
- A March 2021 report that the main umbrella body for the Muslim Brotherhood in Europe had held a virtual training event on “introducing Islam” featuring the former DMG Secretary-General.