A US Muslim Brotherhood umbrella organization is reporting on a 24 August 2020 meeting between representatives of the organization and Turkish President Erdoğan taking place at the Turkish presidential complex:
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 9/7/2020) – A special delegation of the US Council of Muslim Organizations (USCMO), the largest Muslim-American coalition of leading national and local community institutions, has returned from a special meeting with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan at the Ankara presidential complex, thanking him for the Turkish people’s rush of pandemic aid to Americans in their time of PPE shortage and stressing the need to nurture the special, historic relationship between the two nations. “On our return from our recent solidarity visit to Beirut in the wake of the port blast, we met with President Erdogan to promote the important friendship between America and Turkey,” said Oussama Jammal, USCMO secretary general, who led the delegation. “This is a natural bridge-building role for American Muslims to offer our country.” “We made a special point to thank him personally for the Turkish people’s dispatch of masks, gowns, and gloves for Americans in need during the early first peak of the coronavirus crisis when personal protective equipment shortages were rampant here. We also noted Turkey’s key role in helping millions of distressed throughout the region especially Syria where Turkey hosts over 3.5 million refugees, Palestine, Rohingya, Somalia, Libya, and most recently Lebanon.”
Read the rest here.
Facebook posts display gifts participants received from Erdoğan, including matching personalized autographs.
The article identifies the following individuals as part of the meeting from the US Council of Muslim Organizations (USCMO) side:
- Oussama Jammal (USCMO Secretary General)
- Osama Abuirshaid (American Muslims for Palestine)
- Imam Haaziq Muhammad II (The Mosque Cares; Ministry of Imam W. Deen Mohammed)
- Muhammad Ruhul Amin (Muslim Ummah of North America)
- Mohamed Mursal (Islamic Association of North America; IANA)
- Sheikh Hasan Jama (IANA)
- Bassam Obeid (North American Imams Federation)
- Mazen Mokhtar (Baitulmaal)
- Mohammed Hassan (Mercy Without Limits)
According to a Facebook post from Abuirshaid, they discussed US-Turkish relations and a need to strengthen them, and the article states that Erdoğan praised the American Muslim community and thanked them for “seeking to actively foster continuing positive relationships between the two nations.”
The US Council of Muslim Organizations was established in 2014 by eight organizations, seven of which are part of the US Muslim Brotherhood, part of the Global Muslim Brotherhood which is a transnational Islamist network covered by the GIOR. The inaugural conference for the USCMO was held two years later and was attended by a wide variety of European Muslim Brotherhood leaders as well as US government officials. Since its founding, the USCMO has grown to include 35 member organizations, almost half known to be part of the USMB and including almost every important component of the Brotherhood in the US. The GMBDW reported in July that Presidential hopeful Joe Biden addressed a virtual conference organized by the USCMO
A 2011 report authored by the GIOR Senior Editor detailed Erdoğan’s ideological ties to the Global Muslim Brotherhood and concluded that since 2006, Turkey has become a new center for the GMB. The GMBDW had previously reported on the growing relationship between Turkey and the US Brotherhood including:
- In July 2020 we reported on a USCMO Conference Call attended by the Turkish Ambassador to the US where Oussama Jammal and other USCMO/USMB leaders praised Erdoğan and played a pre-recorded Eid-al-FItr message from the Turkish President.
- In October 2016 we reported on a meeting between Erdoğan and a group of US Muslim leaders, many of whom are tied to US Muslim Brotherhood
- In April 2015 we reported that the USCMO had taken Turkey’s side on the 100th anniversary of the genocide of Armenians at the hands of the Turks during World War I.
- In June 2013 we reported that an official of the Islamic Society of North America’s met with then Prime Minister Erdoğan.
Oussama Jammal, along with another USMB leader Siraj Wahhaj, also praised Erdoğan in speeches at a New York event in September 2019. Erdoğan delivered a speech at the same event.
Comments are closed here.