The GIOR recently reported that Turkish President Erdoğan had given a speech about growing Islamophobia in the West at a conference organized by the Turkish American National Steering Committee (TASC). The GIOR has found additional organizations involved with the conference which were not included in the original reporting. The following organizational logos can be found in TASC’s Instagram post about the speech:
- MÜSİAD USA, the US branch of the Turkish Islamist businessman’s group, MÜSİAD. As GIOR has reported, MÜSİAD USA’s president Murat Guzel is also a TASC board member.
- Amerika Ülkü Ocakları, the US branch of the Idealist Hearths or Gray Wolves, a Turkish ultranationalist youth and street movement connected the coalition partner of Erdoğan’s AKP.
- Cihannüma, an association that has hosted Hamas leaders, including Khaled Meshaal.
- The Presidency for Turks Abroad and Related Communities (Turkish: Yurtdışı Türkler ve Akraba Topluluklar Başkanlığı; YTB), a part of the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
- The Yunus Emre Institute, a Turkish public institute that holds Turkish courses and cultural/art activities to promote Turkey abroad.
The Turkish American National Steering Committee (TASC) is strongly tied to Erdoğan:
- TASC co-chair Halil Mutlu is Erdoğan’s cousin.
- TASC co-chair Gunay Evinch is a principal of Saltzman & Evinch, a law firm retained by Turkey and registered as a foreign agent of Turkey in 2020.