The US Council of Muslim Organizations (USCMO) has issued a statement severing its relationship with EMGAGE, the sponsor of a recent virtual conference addressed by Democratic Presidential hopeful Joe Biden and that also included two important US Muslim Brotherhood leaders and their allies. According to the USCMO statement:
Official USCMO Statement Regarding Emgage
Oct. 8, 2020
Assalamu alaykum Brothers and Sisters:
On behalf of the entire US Council of Muslim Organizations, we pray that you are doing the well and staying safe. We are reaching out to share an important community update regarding one of our members, the political organization Emgage. In recent weeks, numerous Muslim and Palestinian Americans have expressed concern about reported ties between Emgage and Emgage leaders with anti-Muslim and anti-Palestinian groups. Some of the specific concerns expressed to USCMO relate to:
- Emgage board members participating in the Muslim Leadership Initiative (MLI), an offensive program which seeks to undermine Muslim solidarity with the cause of Palestinian freedom.
- Emgage directly partnering with the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), which the weaponizes Islamophobia, lobbies to restrict the right to boycott for human rights, and regularly smears American Muslims who speak up for Palestinian human rights, including elected officials like Rep. Ilhan Omar, among other unacceptable conduct.
- Emgage and Emgage leadership directly working with the American Jewish Committee (AJC), which has praised anti-Muslim bigots like Daniel Pipes and Ayaan Hirsi Ali while also targeting Muslim Americans who support Palestinian freedom, among other Islamophobic conduct.
Over the past month, USCMO has been working to investigate these concerns, address them with our friends at Emgage, and develop a positive way forward. Despite strong efforts by everyone involved and some progress, we were not able to reach agreement. As a result, Emgage is no longer a member of USCMO.
In turn, EMGAGE issued its own statement refuting and or denying the above allegations. Wherever the truth lies with respect to these matters, the dispute clearly represents some kind of rare public division between elements of the Muslim Brotherhood in the US (USMB) as both the USCMO and EMGAGE are both tied to the USMB. The fact remains that Biden and his campaign have troubling contacts with the USMB as evidenced by his recent address to the virtual convention of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), one of the most important components of the USMB. Only time will tell to what degree the USMB will play a role in Biden Administration as it did under Barack Obama.
Reporting by the Global Muslim Brotherhood Daily Watch (GMBDW) on the relationship of former Democrat administrations to individuals and organizations linked to the US and Global Muslim Brotherhood has included:
- In 2013, the GMBDW reported that a top Muslim Brotherhood advisor had worked for the Bill Clinton Foundation in Egypt.
- In 2012 the GMBDW reported that former President Bill Clinton hosted then Egyptian President and MB leader Mohammed Morsi at the annual meeting of the Clinton Global Initiative.
- In 2010, the GMBDW reported on the family ties of Hillary Clinton Chief of Staff Huma Abedin to the Global Muslim Brotherhood.
- In 2010 the GMBDW reported on the relationship with the US Muslim Brotherhood of President Obama’s newly appointed Special Envoy to the Organization of Islamic Conference.
- In 2009, the GMBDW reported on the family ties of an Obama Faith Advisor to the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood.
- In 2009, the GMBDW reported that several Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood members had been invited to attend President Obama’s speech to the Muslim world in Cairo.
- In August 2008, the GMBDW reported that the Obama campaign Muslim-outreach coordinator was part of multiple organizations tied to the US Muslim Brotherhood.
The GMBDW also documented numerous White House meetings involving the US Muslim Brotherhood during the Obama Administration. The relationship of Democratic Administrations with the US Muslim Brotherhood appears to have begun in 1996 when Hillary Clinton first invited USMB leaders to a White House Iftar dinner. The GMBDW judges that given the already strong relationship of Joe Biden with the USMB during the campaign, a Biden administration will likely see an unprecedented level of participation and influence by the USMB in the federal government.