According to the Turkish American National Steering Committee’s (TASC), its new Vice-Chairman of the Board is an individual who is also the president of the USA youth wing of a Turkish Islamist businessman’s group. The TASC ‘About Us” page identifies Gokhan Dogan as the Board Vice-Chairman, and Dogan, who has also had been the TASC Media Director, is also the president of Young MÜSİAD USA. MÜSİAD, in turn, is a Turkish businessman’s group founded in 1990 which aims to create a synthesis of business and Islamic conservative values. It professes not to be a political organization yet has financially supported the Turkish AKP party, been supported itself by Turkish President Erdoğan, and MÜSİAD leaders have left their positions to become AKP politicians.
The Turkish American National Steering Committee (TASC) is strongly tied to Turkish President Erdoğan:
- TASC co-chair Gunay Evinch is a principal of Saltzman & Evinch, a law firm retained by Turkey and registered as a foreign agent of Turkey in 2020.
- TASC co-chair Halil Mutlu is Erdoğan’s cousin.
- TASC’s former treasurer, Murat Guzel, detailed his US political activities in e‑mails to Erdoğan family members. Guzel is also MÜSİAD USA’s current president.
Other relevant GIOR reporting has included:
- In May 2021, we reported that TASC, alongside an NJ mayor’s office, organized a Ramadan iftar (fast-breaking) also was attended by NJ Congressman Bill Pascrell.
- In May 2021, we reported that TASC co-chair Gunay Evinch protested President Joe Biden’s recognition of the Armenian genocide.
- In March 2021, we reported that MÜSIAD sponsored a billboard supporting Turkey and Azerbaijan in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Comments are closed here.