On 29 May 2021, a coalition of prominent US Muslim Brotherhood organizations and a Turkish-American lobby group closely tied to the Turkish ruling party co-hosted a “National Palestine March” in Washington, DC. According to a post on the website of the Islamic Council of North America (ICNA):
[ICNA] today joined the U.S. Council of Muslim Organizations (USCMO), American Muslims for Palestine (AMP) and other justice organizations and activists for the National March for Palestine in Washington, D.C., taking place on Saturday, May 29, from 3:00 to 8:00, starting at the Lincoln Memorial and marching to Congress.
Read the rest here.
According to the post, the event, which drew thousands of protestors, was part of a new national ‘#SanctionIsrael’ campaign by the American Muslims for Palestine (AMP), a Palestinian advocacy group with strong ties to both the US Muslim Brotherhood and to the Hamas support infrastructure in the US. The campaign calls on the Biden administration and Congress to sanction Israel, to stop military and logistical aid to the country, and to support “Palestinian liberation” efforts. On 25 May 2021, an AMP-hosted virtual gathering aimed at raising awareness for the cause brought together prominent American pro-Palestinian activists, including Israel critic Linda Sarsour, who has family ties to Hamas, and Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib (D‑MI).
The Washington march was hosted by AMP in partnership with several other organizations tied to the Global Muslim Brotherhood (GMB) in the US, including:
- ICNA Council for Social Justice
- Muslim Ummah of North America, a relatively obscure member of the US Council of Muslim Organizations(USCMO) and whose conventions have featured important US Muslim Brotherhood leaders
Another march partner was the Turkish-American National Steering Committee, a Turkish-American influence group closely tied to the Turkish ruling party and co-chaired by President Erdoğan’s cousin Halil Mutlu that has repeatedly participated in meetings with US Muslim Brotherhood leaders.
The event was endorsed by a large number of progressive Palestine advocacy organizations and human rights groups, including:
- Jewish Voice for Peace, whose board member Phyllis Bennis in May 2021 has participated in a pro-Palestine speaking event by British Muslim Brotherhood groups
- Samidoun, a Palestinian prisoner advocacy NGO closely tied to the terror organization Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
- CodePink, a US women-led grassroots organization and a main proponent of the Boycott, Divestment & Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel
Prior reporting by the Global Influence Operations Report (GIOR) about the international Hamas support infrastructure has included:
- A January 2021 report that the European Hamas support network had established a new front group.
- An April 2021 report that a Danish MP for the left-wing Red-Green Alliance had participated in a virtual conference hosted by the same Hamas support group.
- A May 2021 report that UK Labour Muslim Network had hosted a “Virtual Iftar” featuring pro-Hamas activists and GMB leaders.
- A May 2021 report that a virtual GMB scholars conference brought together a UN-sanctioned terrorism financier, GMB leaders, and a British organization known to be pro-Hamas.
- A May 2021 report that an Irish MP and a member of the Israeli Parliament were among the panelists of an online roundtable on Palestine organized by a coalition of UK Muslim Brotherhood groups.