After the Turkish American National Steering Committee (TASC) donated food items to a local non-profit organization, a New Jersey Congressman wrote a letter to the group, offering his assistance should they request it. According to the letter, tweeted by TASC:
June 25, 2021 […] The lives you impacted here in the Silk City will know the Turkish American National Steering Committee for the rest of their lives. I am proud to call your organization a true friend to the people of New Jersey. Please continue your charitable efforts to raise up the less fortunate.
Once again, I applaud you for your help, You have developed a heartfelt movement which I personally hope continues to grow and flourish here in the Silk City. If I can ever be of any assistance to your organization, please do not hesitate to call on me.
Read the rest here.
As we reported in May, Pascrell attended an iftar (Ramadan fast-breaking ceremony) co-organized by TASC and the Mayor’s Office of Paterson, NJ. TASC’s current Executive Committee and Board Members have donated a total of $5,000 to Pascrell’s campaigns since 2005, $4,400 of which was in the past three years. The Turkish American National Steering Committee (TASC) is strongly tied to Turkish President Erdoğan:
- TASC co-chair Halil Mutlu is Erdoğan’s cousin.
- TASC co-chair Gunay Evinch is a principal of Saltzman & Evinch, a law firm retained by Turkey and registered as a foreign agent of Turkey in 2020.
- TASC’s former treasurer, Murat Guzel, detailed his US political activities in e‑mails to Erdoğan family members.
Previous GIOR reporting on TASC had included:
- In August, we reported that TASC board members hosted a meeting between “Turkish American Leaders” and Congressman Jamaal Bowman.
- In August, we also reported that TASC leaders had been briefing Turkish ministers and an MP on their activities, including those “which reach out to the US political leaders, media, and public.”
- In July, we reported that TASC board members had donated to New York City Mayoral Candidate Eric Adams’s campaign.