US media reported earlier this month that President Biden imposed new sanctions on Russia, targeting 32 Russian entities and individuals for disinformation efforts and for carrying out Moscow’s interference in the 2020 presidential election. According to a New York Times article:
April 15, 2021 President Biden on Thursday imposed extensive new sanctions on Russia and formally blamed the country’s premier intelligence agency for the sophisticated hacking operation that breached American government agencies and the nation’s largest companies. The sanctions included measures intended to make it more difficult for Russia to take part in the global economy if it continued its campaign of disruptive actions, including in cyberspace and on the border of Ukraine. […]
The measures Mr. Biden announced included sanctions on 32 entities and individuals for disinformation efforts and for carrying out Moscow’s interference in the 2020 presidential election. Ten Russian diplomats, most of them identified as intelligence operatives, were expelled from the Russian Embassy in Washington. And the administration banned American banks from purchasing newly issued Russian government debt.
Read the rest here.
According to the US Treasury, following disinformation outlets have been designated over disinformation efforts and interference in the presidential elections:
- The Strategic Culture Foundation
- Foundation for National Values Protection
- Association For Free Research And International Cooperation
- International Anticrisis Center
As a result of the designation, all property and interests in property of these targets that are subject to US jurisdiction are blocked, and US persons are generally prohibited from engaging in transactions with them.
Recent Global Influence Operations Report reporting on Russian disinformation includes:
- In April, we published an exclusive GIOR investigation uncovering how Western former diplomats and journalists are contributing to the Strategic Culture Foundation despite its links to Russian intelligence.
- In March, we reported about a Berlin conference organized by Russian influence operatives linked to the Association For Free Research And International Cooperation (AFRIC).
- In March, we reported about the 24 Group, a network of automated websites spreading pro-Russian disinformation.
Comments are closed here.