Turkish media has reported about the inaugural ceremony of a new organization founded by Global Muslim Brotherhood and Turkish government-connected leaders. According to the Doğruhaber report:
October 27, 2021: “International Organization to Support the Prophet of Islam” was inaugurated on Tuesday with a ceremony in Istanbul, Turkey’s most populous city as well as its cultural and financial hub.[…]
The International Organization to Support the Prophet of Islam was founded by 50 Islamic scholars from various Muslim countries on the first anniversary of the “Support Prophet Mohammed” campaign. The campaign was started by Egyptian scholar Sheikh Muhammed Saghir one year ago after the insults and smear campaigns had been launched against Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) in the western countries, especially France. Among the founders of the “International Organization to Support the Prophet of Islam” are Enver Kılıçarsan, the head of İTTİHADUL ULEMA, Abdulvahap Ekinci, the president of the International Islamic Scholars Organization, and Mehmet Görmez, the head of Institute of Islamic Thought, Academic Yasin Aktay, Mauritian Islamic Scholar Sheikh Muhammed Hassan Dedo and Ali Qaradaghi, the Secretary-General of the International Union of Muslim Scholars.
Read the rest here.
The report names the following as founders of the new organization, many of whom are Global Muslim Brotherhood (GMB) leaders or have connections to the Turkish government:
- Ali Qaradaghi- Secretary-General of the International Union of Muslim Scholars (IUMS)
- Muhammad Hassan Al-Dido- Chairman of the IUMS Mediation and Reconciliation Committee
- Abdulvahap Ekinci- president of the International Muslim Scholars Association (Turkish: Uluslararası Müslüman Âlimler Derneği), which calls itself the Turkish branch of the IUMS.
- Mehmet Görmez- former president of the Turkish Directorate of Religious Affairs (Diyanet) and head of the Institute of Islamic Thought, whose board of trustees contains several former Diyanet officials, Global Muslim Brotherhood leaders, and other Islamists.
- Enver Kılıçarslan- Chairman of the Union of Scholars and Madrasahs (İtti̇hadul Ulema), an Islamic education association founded in the Kurdish region of Turkey.
Speakers at the event included Qaradaghi, Muhamed Al-Sagheer (sometimes transliterated as al-Saghir), an Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood scholar and Chairman of the IUMS’s Da’wa and Proselytization Committee, and Khaled Meshaal, former head of the Hamas political bureau.
Founded in 2004, the International Union of Muslim Scholars is an international body of Muslim theologians whose leadership is closely tied to the GMB and, until recently, was led by GMB spiritual guide Youssef Qaradawi. Several prominent European Muslim faith leaders tied to the GMB were IUMS members and/or have served as IUMS Trustees, including former Oxford University Islamic Studies professor Tariq Ramadan and Ahmed Jaballah, a senior leader in the French and Global Muslim Brotherhood.
The Directorate of Religious Affairs (Turkish: Diyanet İşleri Başkanlığı or Diyanet) is a Turkish state institution responsible for managing religious affairs. The Diyanet was founded in 1924 to monopolize control of Sunni Islam in Turkey under the state. The Diyanet drafts a weekly sermon delivered at all of Turkey’s mosques, and their imams are civil servants employed by the state.
Comments are closed here.